I came across some information on Lipitor that people who are taking the drug and have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia need to know. It causes muscle pain so perhaps this is another drug that causes Fibromyalgia like symptoms.
Lipitor made by Pfizer, is the best selling drug in history. It’s 20 year patent is running out and they are lower the price so they won’t lose business to generic competition.
What is Lipitor?
- used to lower LDL cholesterol
What are Lipitor side effects?
- myalgia which presents itself as muscle pain and weakness. Mild to moderate is common
- elevation of liver transaminases
- elevation of creatin kinase (a muscle enzyme)
-various gastrointestinal symptoms, flatulence, dyspepsia, abdominal pain and various infection symptoms
Life threatening side effects
- Rhabdomyolysis, muscle cells break down releasing large amounts of degraded proteins into the blood stream. Protein degradation can lead to acute renal injury and failure.
Rare but well documented. Seek medical attention right away to prevent the need for dialysis.
- Hepatotoxicity is another serious Lipitor side effect. It can be
asymptomatic or can lead to right upper quadrant abdominal pain and jaundice in more severe cases.
- Allergic reactions including Stevens-Johnson Syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis, photosensitivity, vasculitis, polymyalgia rheumatica, angioedema, anaphylaxis, and others can be serious too.
- Pancreatitis is a rare but serious Lipitor side effect.
- Lupus erythematosis is also a rare, but recorded, as a Lipitor side effect.
Unusual Lipitor side effects:
- Pancreatitis and Rhabdomyolysis are probably the most unusual Lipitor side effects of note.