Ontario researchers have found a simple cure for cancer, yet major pharmaceutical companies are not interested because they cannot patent and make profit from it.
Canadian scientists tested this dichloroacetate (DCA) on human’s cells; it killed lung, breast and brain cancer cells and left the healthy cells alone. It is currently used to treat metabolic disorders, so, there is no concern of side effects or about their long term effects.
So why is it we are allowing people to die from cancer when we could be saving them? Today is my Mother’s birthday, she died of breast cancer June 2nd, 2004. She was only 67 years young! What a waste of talent and to think, it is because a pharmaceutical company couldn’t make profit from all that chemo drugs, pain killers, morphine, pills, pills, and more pills she was on. She was drugged up beyond reality, she lost her hair, she lost her well being, her lust for life, she lost all functioning, ability to walk and at the end even to eat or talk, then she lost her life. Tell me, all that so someone can drive a Mercedes or two? If we could only value human life the way we did money, possessions and power!
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex… It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Here are the websites, read all the details here:
The University of Alberta Discovery
March 15, 2007
Dr. Evangelos Michelakis, a professor at the U of A Department of Medicine, has shown that dichloroacetate (DCA) causes regression in several cancers, including lung, breast, and brain tumors.
Until recently, researchers believed that cancer-affected mitochondria are permanently damaged and that this damage is the result, not the cause, of the cancer. But Michelakis, a cardiologist, questioned this belief and began testing DCA, which activates a critical mitochondrial enzyme, as a way to “revive” cancer-affected mitochondria.
The results astounded him.
Michelakis and his colleagues found that:
– DCA normalized the mitochondrial function in many cancers, showing that their function was actively suppressed by the cancer but was not permanently damaged by it.
– the normalization of mitochondrial function resulted in a significant decrease in tumor growth both in test tubes and in animal models.
– DCA, unlike most currently used chemo therapies, did not have any effects on normal, non-cancerous tissues.
“I think DCA can be selective for cancer because it attacks a fundamental process in cancer development that is unique to cancer cells,” Michelakis said. “One of the really exciting things about this compound is that it might be able to treat many different forms of cancer”.
Another encouraging thing about DCA is that, being so small, it is easily absorbed in the body, and, after oral intake, it can reach areas in the body that other drugs cannot, making it possible to treat brain cancers, for example.
It is a simple technique using very basic drug. The method employs dichloroacetate, which is currently used to treat metabolic disorders. So, there is no concern of side effects or about their long term effects.
This drug doesn’t require a patent, so anyone can employ it widely and cheaply compared to the costly cancer drugs produced by major pharmaceutical companies.
Citizens Commission on Human Rights International has labelled Psychiatry as labeling kids with bogus mental disorders. Please watch this video and read the article below. I added the side effects and mortality rate information of psychiatric drugs:
The “experts” warned that the fifth version of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), scheduled for publication in 2013, “could mean that soon no-one will be classed as normal. . . . [M]any people previously seen as perfectly healthy could in future be told they are ill.”
This is not news. More than 200 hundred years ago Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749–1832) warned: “I believe that in the end humanitarianism will triumph, but I fear that, at the same time, the world will become a big hospital, each person acting as the other’s humane nurse.”
Here is a link to side effects from drugs used to treat psychiatry. Here are a few from a search I did for Canada:
Self-Harm, Suicide Risk/Suicide Attempts/Suicide
Mortality Risk Increased
Heart Problems, Cardiac Events
Skin Problems/Reactions, Hypersensitivity Reactions, Multi-Organ Sensitivity
Dependence, Addiction, Medication Abuse, Hallucinations, Delusional Thinking, Sensory Disturbances, Confusion, Cognitive Impairment, Dizziness, Amnesia, Memory Loss, Depression
Mortality Risk Increased
Death/Sudden Death, Agitation, Irritability, Heart Problems, Cardiac Events, Stroke, Cerebrovascular Events, Hallucinations, Delusional Thinking, Sensory Disturbances
Death/Sudden Death, Blood Pressure Changes, Heart Problems, Cardiac Events, Stroke, Cerebrovascular Events
Here is the:
International Warning and Studies on Psychiatric Drug Search Engine
Please check it out before you take any psychiatric drug or if you are considering giving your children these drugs:
Here is a handy search engine with the side effects reported to the US FDA for psychiatric drugs:
Some recent news:
Friday, April 01, 2011 by: Jonathan Benson, staff writer
I’ve had a severe pain in my upper right abdomen in the front and back that lead into my lower abdomen for months (could be years), the doctors keep saying it is Fibromyalgia and I just need to exercise. The more I did the exercises, the more pain I had in those areas, it seemed internal to me.
I was getting out of the shower because I was having trouble breathing and the pain in my abdomen was so bad. I thought maybe I had to go to the bathroom, when I sat, it felt like I was going to throw up, so I changed position, then had to hit the floor because I felt like I was going to pass out.
There I lay unable to move for a half hour or more because of the pain and nausea. I just kept saying breathe Jen, breathe. When I finally got up, I was so white, almost yellow in color and I could barely stand from the pain. This was my second attack so I went to the Doctor.
He thought it was a bladder infection and gave me an antibiotic. He said it also could have been a kidney stone or appendicitis, because it was also in that area. If it happens again, go to the hospital.
The meds helped the severe pain subside for a while but it didn’t take it away. I also experienced terrible headaches and ill stomach from the antibiotics. He sent me for blood tests and an ultrasound which was scheduled weeks later. The results came back that my gall bladder and kidneys were fine. So why did I still have the pain?
The pain was still radiating in my back, right side, kidney area down into my lower abdomen, under my ribs in the liver area and into the lower abdomen, across to the left side.
Have you every experienced that desperate feeling that you know something is wrong yet they keep telling you that you are fine? Or they don’t give you an answer at all?
I took it upon myself to start a cleanse because each attack was getting worse and I wasn’t looking forward to the next one. Most all experts advise to do a colon cleanse before you do a gallbladder, kidney or liver cleanse and that is what I did.
I started the cleanse a week ago Friday and OMG (Oh my god)!! I passed thousands of tiny stones, have a look at the pictures below. They are tiny little pebbles so I took some pictures and blew them up. It looks like the stones that washed up on the beach. What a variety from all shades of brown, black, green, pink, yellow, white, tan, orange and calcified:
If you would like to cleanse your body of a lot of god only knows what, Coloson worked for me. It is a very reasonable price at the link below, only $19.99. I have tried other cleanses but haven’t had success like this one and they were very costly.
You need 5 to stay close to the toilet though as it is a powerful cleanse. I did the quick 6 pills, 3 times a day cleanse but you could spread it out so it was gentler.
***You should check with you doctor first to see if it is okay to do a colon cleanse and that you have no blockages in your colon or intestines (although I am pretty sure it would clear that problem quickly : )).These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Some doctors don’t believe in cleanses, especially the doctors from the old school, so I would make your own choice if you have pain that they can’t give you an answer for. I am not a doctor or a nurse, I am just someone in pain, sharing my experiences that work for me. The desperation of being in chronic pain and getting no answers from the medical establishment has turned me to find my own cure. I am on my journey to wellness.
The pain in my right side in the back and lower right abdomen has eased off. I still have pain under my ribs. I have completed the colon cleanse today and am going on to the liver cleanse in a few days to let my body recover a bit and replenish it with wholesome foods and vital nutrients. I can hardly wait to see the results of the liver cleanse if the colon cleanse was that successful and I will be moving on to the kidney and gallbladder cleanse too. I passed thousands and thousands of stones several times a day for over a week, even days after the pills were done.
I did some research on stones. It looks like I have quite a variety of Calcium Dihydrate (orange), Calcium Oxalate Monohydrate (brown), Uric Acid (dark), Calcium Oxalate (brown calcified), the brown and yellow chard are gallbladder stones and the green stones are liver stones.
Quite a variety for a person who is healthy and just needs to exercise! I have had chronic pain in my joints, muscles and organs for 20 years. I have always kept active and am extremely fit so I find it quite insulting when I am told I just need to exercise. Just another case of me being misdiagnosed again. I was even told once, oh, you are just getting old.
Old actually doesn’t mean that you are sentenced to a life of chronic pain. You should be vital, pain free and have your well being into a ripe old age. Don’t get sucked into the belief that because you are aging, you have to live off of a pile of pills and suffer chronic pain. It doesn’t have to be that way and I am determined to keep going until I am pain free.
I am not waiting for the medicine man to remove my gallbladder because it is so full of stones or until it destroys my pancreas like it did my husbands.They let him go so long with pain and nausea that his gallbladder damaged his pancreas. He ended up with Pancreatitis and almost died.
The makers say there is no urgency with Colosan but I did find urgency, perhaps because I am chronically ill or it could have to do with being Celiac or lactose intolerant or having the kidney stones, who knows? Looking at the stones now, I am starting to see why I have so many symptoms and pain.
You can actually hear and feel it oxygenate inside you with gurgling as it travels though purging your intestines and colon and when it gets down to the lower part of your body, don’t wait, the urgency is you have to be by the toilet because it is coming now! It liquefies the contents so it is like peeing through your butt. Sorry, I don’t know how else to describe it but how it really is. : ) There is no pain though, it is very gentle and it’s not at all like that severe diarrhea that gives you that sick feeling in your stomach.
Have a look at these websites with all the kidney, liver and gallbladder stones, it is quite fascinating. Check out the 6 pages of stones on the first website below. :
There are 13 pictures of liver stones here:
What the heck are those stones made out of and what do they mean to me?
I was searching the stone Calcium Dihydrate and came across this disease from Merck manuals – Calcium Pyrophosphate Dihydrate Crystal Deposition Disease which sounds to me like a fancy name for the crystals I was searching landing in the body causing pain. It is described as intermittent attacks of acute arthritis and a degenerative arthropathy. Diagnosed by CDDP crystals in the synovial fluid.
Here is the cleanse I did:
Of course, Colosan is best taken in conjunction with colon hydrotherapy, yet it is also GREAT on its own for people who REFUSE to do colon hydrotherapy. Colosan works mainly inside the small intestine, which we can’t get to with colon hydrotherapy. The acton of the oxygen helps balance fermentation & yeasts. The quick liquifying effects of old impacted matter often create energy shifts & reduction in bloating. If people do the initial suggested 5-day intensive use of Colosan, it frequently encourages them to keep going. Colosan is great too for travelling & jetlag. It’s also great to use instead of epsom salts for liver flushing. Additionally, it is good for kids & pregnancy.
To sum it up: Colosan is gentle but very effective.
Oxygen for Superior Colon Hygiene
There are common goals to healthful living.
One primary goal is proper colon hygiene. The cleansing of the digestive tract is a logical place from which to embark on a healthful regimen. Ask any contractor- you have to clean up before you repair and rebuild. The same concept applies to well being and rejuvenation.
Eliminate built up toxins before you provide the body with what it needs to restore well being.
There is no better way to clean the colon than with oxygen since digestion is known to be a process of oxidation. By introducing oxygen into the intestines and the colon, one can assist the process of complete digestion as well as oxidizing undigested material.
Colosan for Proper Colon Hygiene
Digestion & Oxidation
The average person is walking around with anywhere from six to twelve pounds of undigested material fermenting in their intestines and colon. Digestion is a process of oxidation. That is why we give off heat, carbon dioxide and sulfur dioxide. Just like a car engine when there is improper oxidation some of the fuel gets left behind as a residue. In the digestive tract, there is a similar build up of partially digested gunk. In an automobile when you add oxygen to the fuel mixture the built up materials are burned off or oxidized. You can do the same for your body. As these materials accumulate and subsequently begin to rot, your body wraps them in mucous to keep them from poisoning you.
Colosan turns the accumulation and the mucous into carbon dioxide and water that are gently eliminated. It is unimaginable to think of going one week without the use of a toothbrush or toilette tissue. Yet, when was the last time you thought about cleaning the twenty feet in between? Do you think it’s any cleaner? It’s a simple fact, people rarely clean where they cannot see and that is where problems begin.
Somewhere to Hide
Your impacted material is home base to four of the most dangerous threats to your health. Number one, it is where toxins accumulate. For example when you are behind a bus in traffic, the exhaust gets in your saliva and sinus, then you swallow and that chemical soup is absorbed into the impacted material and eventually leaches toxins into your blood stream. Second, it is where virus’ and bacteria hide when your immune system chases them out of your bloodstream. There they breed and re-infect. Third, the impacted material is a fecal fortress for parasites to reside in and an ideal garden for the overgrowth of undesirable flora such as Candida. By using Colosan to oxidize and eliminate this impacted material, you are eradicating the home base to four of the largest assailants to your health and giving them nowhere to hide.
Assimilation and Elimination
Colosan is also vital to the operation of two very important gut functions – assimilation and elimination. The colon is approximately three to five feet long. The walls of it are reasonably smooth and it is primarily an organ of elimination. If the colon is clogged with mucous and undigested material, the function of elimination is impeded.
Many practitioners recommend health regimens that involve the detoxification of the liver, kidneys, the bloodstream, and the lymph. However, if the colon is not cleaned first, these systems have nowhere to empty to and back up. This creates a feeling of malaise known as a detox reaction, or healing crisis. These episodes are unpleasant and can be completely avoided by using Colosan prior to any detox regimen. By cleaning out the colon with Colosan first, it enables the detoxification regimen to proceed without impediment and, in fact, can be pursued more aggressively and to better effect. The intestines are approximately twenty feet long. Nature designed them with a maximum amount of surface area for absorption. The inside of the intestines consists of villi. These are hundreds of finger-like projections making the internal texture of the intestines much like a shag rug. When the villi get pasted down with mucous and impacted material they are less able to absorb nutrients from food or get maximum benefits from your supplementation. Instead, you are reabsorbing toxins from the impacted material as it ferments. By cleaning out the intestines, shampooing that shag rug as it were, you enable yourself to get the maximum benefit out of the food that you eat and the supplements that you take. It is also a wonderful way to reduce bloat and relieve that lousy tired feeling one gets from absorbing poisons into the bloodstream through the intestines instead of nutrients.
Take 6 capsules with a twelve ounce glass of water–three times daily for five days for an initial cleanse. Colosan Capsules should be consumed on an empty stomach at least an hour before eating. Take six capsules weekly for maintenance. One or two can be taken as a stool softener. Colosan releases a tremendous amount of oxygen and ozone in the intestines and colon for the purpose of cleansing. It is important to take Colosan on an empty stomach and wait an hour before eating anything else. There are three times a day when most people find that they have an empty stomach and will not be consuming anything for an hour. These are first thing in the morning, around five o’clock in the afternoon and right before bed.
Proper Colon Hygiene
Colosan is widely regarded by Practitioners as the most thorough, gentle cleanse that utilizes and complements the body’s natural process of oxidative digestion. It is preferred to herbal micro toxins and amphetamines which purge the body of valuable water. It is also preferable to fiber as in psyillium, bentonite clay, and granular activated carbon which all attempt to scrape or leach the impaction out rather than oxidize it as Colosan does. It is a good idea to stick with tradition as for centuries man has been using oxygen for digestion and clay and fiber to make bricks.
Colosan is a thorough cleanser. That means it will help you to empty undesired materials from your intestines and your colon once they are reduced into carbon dioxide and water. One can expect copious, aqueous stools but should not experience gas as all reactions take place in solution. This is to be distinguished from diarrhea where by diuretic action or microbial invasion the body purges itself of valuable fluids and there is a sense of urgency. With Colosan, you will have no sense of urgency – one more reason why it is the colon hygiene product of choice. In fact, Colosan is used by many colon hydrotherapists as an adjunct to their colon irrigations or colonics, because it allows them to clean the intestines as well as the colon. With proper colon hygiene health, vitality and longevity can begin in the colon. Take your Colosan Today.
Colosan Label Info
Colosan is a proprietary blend of various oxides of magnesium designed to gently release oxygen in the digestive track for the purpose of cleansing.
Useful Information: Store in a cool dry place. Close lid tightly. Follow the directions. Colosan can be used safely 2 to 3 times daily for an initial cleansing period after which a periodic use of once or twice weekly is recommended.
Apple cider vinegar can be used to replace the lemon.
CONTENTS: 120 caps
I am an affiliate for The Natural News Store. I only endorse Natural and organic products you can trust. I try to find the best pricing available from the most trusted sources on the internet. Don’t be confused by the chemical cocktails that are being passed off as natural herbal products, get the real thing.
I was checking out the FDA website for something and I came across an article about the new drugs recently approved.
They were all approved on January 20, 2011. They are all made out of leuprolide acetate the same drug Lupron Depot that shut my body down in 2000, now they are bringing it out under different names. (see information on Lupron below).
I was looking through some old paperwork and came across a letter I had written about my experience with the prescription drug Lupron, leuprolide acetate. Here is my story I wrote just after taking Lupron in 2000, thank god we forget pain:
On January 2000, I went to my gynecologist. He diagnosed me with a cyst on my ovary. He said that the drug Lupron would shrink the cyst and I could avoid surgery. I asked about the side effects, he said it was only hot flashes and temporary menopause, but all goes away after the drug is done. He made it sound like a picnic. I thought that the drug was the way to go, sounded like no big deal and to avoid an operation again, why not? (I had my ovary removed surgically when I was 18 due to a cyst).
He gave me a 3 month dose Jan 13, 2000 or 11.25 mg of Lupron Depot in an injection form. Approximately 4 or 5 days later my skin started to crawl throughout my whole body, permanently day after day, creeping through my skin like waves of bugs crawling. I began to have trouble breathing, and was unable to get moving. I went to two different doctors, was given a prescription by one, told to quit smoking by another. I did both but neither seemed to help.
We had went out to dinner one night because we had pre-arranged it with friends (yes that’s me, didn’t want to wreck anybodies plans even though I was in anaphylactic shock, I am a pretty tough soul!). While I was sitting there all of a sudden it felt like bubbles of liquid going into each of my lower front ribs, one at a time like dominos, then it crept it’s way up throughout my ribs in my whole chest and stayed as severe pain. My chest was crushing with chest pain, and I was having trouble breathing. I felt drained and sick all over and very pale. I laid on the couch for days, not being able to do anything and the pain was only getting worse.
I finally went to the hospital because I knew it was serious and out of my hands. They put me on a heart monitor and admitted me right away. My heart was either beating at 41 bpm. or erratically all over the place. All they could do was fill me with pain medications and anti-inflammatories. The hot sweats were starting; actually it was more total body sweats yet I was freezing cold. My kidneys were working overtime.
Upon the first discharge from the hospital I got dizzy and fell onto the floor so they kept me another night. They diagnosed muscle-skeletal pain and heart problems due to the Lupron. Day by day different symptoms arrived, that was only the beginning of months of hell that followed for me.
When I stood up my skin felt so heavy it felt like it was falling off my body.
I had muscle-skeletal pain throughout my whole body, esp. the rib and breast bones.
Dyspnea, difficulty breathing.
Body sweats and chills, ghostly-white complexion.
Shrieking skull pain, migraine on right side of head.
I had huge cramps throughout my legs, pain in lower, outside, right leg.
Breast pain, loss of sexual desire (well who could think about sex with all this going on???)
Cold body, temperature 93.3 F
Low heart rate or racing heart.
Stomach swelled up, dehydrated, excessive thirst.
Throat swelled, feeling of choking.
Bowels quit working, kidneys working overtime.
Numb cheeks and limbs.
Visual disturbances, right eye teared constantly.
Nausea, dizziness, shakes.
Spinal tremors, irritability, nervousness.
Sore teeth, left jaw pain.
Cardiac arrhythmia, palpitations.
Lower back pain.
Intensified rash and swollen lymph nodes.
Every evening at 8 pm my throat would swell and I could actually feel the serum pump out of my throat down into my chest, then throughout my body. The chest and breast pain would increase, my heart would start pumping wildly, my stomach would ache, cramping would increase, body sweats, cold body, and total exhaustion would set in.
I had to spray my entire mid section with muscle pain spray for weeks on end because the drugs didn’t even touch the pain. The horror went on day after day after week after week which turned into months. My Lupus and Fibromyalgia were flaring big time by now. I was gray in color and totally lifeless and I felt like I was going to die. It was the darkest time of my life.
After calling the Doctor who prescribed the Lupron to me, he sent me away saying, go see a cardiologist, there is no way Lupron would do that. It took over 3 months for the drug to quit the “flare effects: and 169 days to be eliminated (supposedly, according to science! I think it is still in my ribs as I have severe rib pain to this day), many natural remedies and 6 months for menstruation to return. Now all that was left was the damage. I also broke two teeth on Lupron.
No one had an antidote to stop this drug from terrorizing my body, so I took my dying body to a Naturopathic Doctor. She put me on some homeopathic medicines and herbals right away and miraculously she took that overwhelming feeling of death away. She said I was grey in color when I came in and that was almost 2 months after the shock set in.
I got my internal orans tested from electro dermal screening and they showed severe stress on all my internal organs, especially the heart, gallbladder, lymphatics, kidneys, bladder, thyroid, liver, adrenals and central nervous system. This was a direct result from the Lupron.
It totally devastated me and my family. Never again! I am going to continue to see a Naturopathic Doctor. She took away the numbness in my cheeks, the swelling in my hands, the shrieking skull pain, the dizziness, the total exhaustion, the rash is clearing up, I have some colour back and some energy.
I still have a long way to go but she helped me out of the severe stress that Lupron put me in. I have seen enough improvement to convince me, Naturopathic medicine is the only way out of a major adverse drug reaction or perhaps any major health crisis. I know who’s hands I feel safe in now.
Isn’t it amazing that they are so willing to pay $1188.00 (times two as it was only half the prescription, I opted out for round 2!)
God, I forgot how ill it made me. I am not a doctor, or a lawyer and this drug is approved by the FDA but not in my lifetime would I recommend it to any human. I actually would warn anyone not to use Lupron, but that is just my opinion through a very bad experience! It’s your body!
This was approved years ago by TAP, they had multi million dollar fines from it, so I suspect these are new companies that want to get in on the sales with this drug too. I think we will be hearing more people being prescribed this drug again. How can the FDA approve
I also would like to note that the cyst was still there after all was said and done. It was the herbals that took the cysts away. Now I believe that I could have avoided surgery when I was 18 as well.
I get the willies through my body when I see or hear the name Lupron. I will write this article but I won’t be reading it again, I just wanted other to know that you could experience side effects. When I was part of the Lupron victims website (10,000+ victims), there was a few deaths as well as heart attacks and stokes beside the multi symptoms and serious organ involvement from thousands of women as well as men. It is a drug given to men for prostrate cancer as well so you might want to check it out too guys. See http://www.lupronvictimshub.com/deaths.html for a long list of male deaths after taking Lupron.
January 20, 2011
Read more other articles on Lupron:
Despite these many risks and negative experiences, manufacturers of leuprolide acetate have continued to market the drug for existing and new uses — most notably, as a treatment for prostate cancer. But a former U.S. Food and Drug Administration medical officer has said that Lupron’s manufacturer, TAP Pharmaceuticals, did not study the drug adequately before or after introducing it to the market, and he alleged that the company hid what it knew about risks of bone density loss, generalized pain, headaches, fluid retention, depression, and immune and nervous system problems, including spinal fracture, convulsions and paralysis.
I did some research on the real effects of Tylenol, it might surprise you. What side effects may result from long-term use/high doses of Acetaminophen? What about your liver and kidneys? Mixing with alcohol is even more dangerous yet how many people mix the two everyday?
What can we do? There are many reasons for headaches, diet, stress, misalignment. If we tackle them one at a time we can get closer to the answer instead of masking it with pain pills that lead to further problems. One of our local doctors in Toronto has some great advice on the perils of painkillers, tylenol toxicity and its Alternatives by Zoltan P. Rona, MD, M.Sc. I added some information from his website below that he suggested as alternatives to Tylenol such as Ginger Root, Boswellia, Bromelain, Curcumin and more. See last article.
By Carol Eustice, About.com Guide
Updated November 18, 2006
Despite universal acceptance, references have been reported of potential liver and kidney toxicity. These warning reports should alert all users of Tylenol, particularly those who chronically use maximum doses of the drug, to these serious risk factors. Fortunately, patient awareness and routine liver and kidney profile testing will discover any organ abnormality.
The American Association of Poison Control Centers shows the following statistics for reported acetaminophen poisonings in 2001:
Information from: http://headaches.about.com/cs/medicationsusage/a/acet_death.htm
Dangerous Side Effects
Serious acetaminophen side effects pose a much greater risk than many consumers realize. In some cases, an individual may experience an acetaminophen side effect and attribute it to some other cause. Sadly, some users even suffer liver failure due to acetaminophen use without their ever knowing.
Some of the more severe acetaminophen side effects include:
Liver Failure, Death, and Acetaminophen
Acetaminophen becomes a toxin when large amounts are ingested or under other specific conditions. The U.S. Acute Liver Failure Study Group found that acetaminophen poisoning is the leading cause of liver failure in the nation, accounting for approximately half of all cases. Some of these instances of liver failure occur even when following the dosage recommendations printed on the bottle.
The following conditions can significantly increase the risk of liver failure and death in acetaminophen users:
If you have decreased liver function, hepatitis, AIDS, malnutrition, kidney disease, anorexia nervosa, or drink alcohol on a regular basis, you should not take acetaminophen without first consulting your doctor. Diabetics should note that acetaminophen may alter blood sugar test results.
Great information from: http://www.onlinelawyersource.com/acetaminophen/side-effects.html
An article from a local Doctor here is Toronto with advice on what we can do for an alternative to Tylenol View full article »
My Doctor wanted me to go on Lyrica, the new drug treatment of choice now for Fibromyalgia. Isn’t it ironic that one of the side effects are muscle problems, muscle pain, soreness, or weakness, so if this is a daily occurrence for people with Fibromyalgia, how would one know? What scares me was the list of side effect LYRICA may cause such as suicidal thoughts and serious, even life-threatening, allergic reactions. Once you get a life threatening reaction to a drug, you tend to inquire about ALL the side effects of the drug they are prescribing to you.
LYRICA (LEER-i-kah) (pregabalin)
Capsules and Oral Solution, CV
Read this Medication Guide before you start taking LYRICA and each time you get a refill. There may be new information. This information does not take the place of talking to your healthcare provider about your medical condition or treatment. If you have any questions about LYRICA, ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist.
What is the most important information I should know about LYRICA?
1. LYRICA may cause serious, even life-threatening, allergic reactions.
Stop taking LYRICA and call your healthcare provider right away if you have any of these signs of a serious allergic reaction:
– swelling of your face, mouth, lips, gums, tongue, throat or neck
– trouble breathing
– rash, hives (raised bumps) or blisters
2. Like other antiepileptic drugs, LYRICA may cause suicidal thoughts or actions in a very small number of people, about 1 in 500.
Call a healthcare provider right away if you have any of these symptoms,
especially if they are new, worse, or worry you:
– thoughts about suicide or dying
– attempts to commit suicide
– new or worse depression
– new or worse anxiety
– feeling agitated or restless
– panic attacks
– trouble sleeping (insomnia)
– new or worse irritability
– acting aggressive, being angry, or violent
– acting on dangerous impulses
– an extreme increase in activity and talking (mania)
– other unusual changes in behavior or mood
If you have suicidal thoughts or actions, do not stop LYRICA without first talking to a healthcare provider.
– Stopping LYRICA suddenly can cause serious problems.
– Suicidal thoughts or actions can be caused by things other than medicines. If you have suicidal thoughts or actions, your healthcare provider may check for other causes.
How can I watch for early symptoms of suicidal thoughts and actions?
– Pay attention to any changes, especially sudden changes, in mood, behaviors, thoughts, or feelings.
– Keep all follow-up visits with your healthcare provider as scheduled.
– Call your healthcare provider between visits as needed, especially if you are worried about symptoms.
3. LYRICA may cause swelling of your hands, legs and feet. This swelling can be a serious problem for people with heart problems.
4. LYRICA may cause dizziness and sleepiness.
Do not drive a car, work with machines, or do other dangerous activities until you know how LYRICA affects you. Ask your healthcare provider about when it will be okay to do these activities.
What is LYRICA?
LYRICA is a prescription medicine used in adults, 18 years and older, to treat:
– pain from damaged nerves (neuropathic pain) that happens with diabetes
– pain from damaged nerves (neuropathic pain) that follows healing of shingles
– partial seizures when taken together with other seizure medicines
– fibromyalgia (pain all over your body)
LYRICA has not been studied in children under 18 years of age.
Who Should Not Take LYRICA?
Do not take LYRICA if you are allergic to pregabalin or any of the ingredients in LYRICA.
What should I tell my healthcare provider before taking LYRICA?
Before taking LYRICA, tell your healthcare provider about all your medical conditions, including if you:
– have or have had depression, mood problems or suicidal thoughts or behavior
– have kidney problems or get kidney dialysis
– have heart problems including heart failure
– have a bleeding problem or a low blood platelet count
– have abused prescription medicines, street drugs, or alcohol in the past
– have ever had swelling of your face, mouth, tongue, lips, gums, neck, or throat (angioedema)
– plan to father a child. Animal studies have shown that pregabalin, the activeingredient in LYRICA, made male animals less fertile and caused sperm to change. Also, in animal studies, birth defects were seen in the offspring (babies) of male animals treated with pregabalin. It is not known if these problems can happen in people who take LYRICA.
– are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. It is not known if LYRICA will harm your unborn baby. You and your healthcare provider will have to decide if you should take LYRICA while you are pregnant. If you become pregnant while taking LYRICA, talk to your healthcare provider about registering with the North American Antiepileptic Drug Pregnancy Registry. You can enroll in this registry by calling 1-888-233-2334. The purpose of this registry is to collect information about the safety of antiepileptic drugs during pregnancy.
– are breastfeeding. It is not known if LYRICA passes into breast milk and if it can harm your baby. You and your healthcare provider should discuss whether you should take LYRICA or breast-feed, but you should not do both. Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you take including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins or herbal supplements. LYRICA and other medicines may affect each other causing side effects. Especially tell your healthcare provider if you take:
– angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors, which are used to treat many conditions, including high blood pressure. You may have a higher chance for swelling and hives if these medicines are taken with LYRICA.
–Avandia (rosiglitazone), Avandamet (contains rosiglitazone and metformin), or Actos (pioglitazone) for diabetes. You may have a higher chance of weight gain or swelling of your hands or feet if these medicines are taken with LYRICA.
– any narcotic pain medicine (such as oxycodone), tranquilizers or medicines for anxiety (such as lorazepam). You may have a higher chance for dizziness and sleepiness if these medicines are taken with LYRICA.
– any medicines that make you sleepy
Know the medicines you take. Keep a list of them with you to show your healthcare provider and pharmacist each time you get a new medicine. Do not start a new medicine without talking with your healthcare provider.
How should I take LYRICA?
– Take LYRICA exactly as prescribed. Your healthcare provider will tell you how much LYRICA to take and when to take it. Take LYRICA at the same times each day.
– LYRICA may be taken with or without food.
– Your healthcare provider may change your dose. Do not change your dose without talking to your healthcare provider.
– Do not stop taking LYRICA without talking to your healthcare provider. If you stop taking LYRICA suddenly you may have headaches, nausea, diarrhea or trouble sleeping. If you have epilepsy and you stop taking LYRICA suddenly, you
may have seizures more often. Talk with your healthcare provider about how to stop LYRICA slowly.
– If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, just skip the missed dose. Take the next dose at your regular time. Do not take two doses at the same time.
– If you take too much LYRICA, call your healthcare provider or poison control center, or go to the nearest emergency room right away.
What should I avoid while taking LYRICA?
– Do not drive a car, work with machines, or do other dangerous activities until you know how LYRICA affects you.
– Do not drink alcohol while taking LYRICA. LYRICA and alcohol can affect each other and increase side effects such as sleepiness and dizziness.
What are the possible side effects of LYRICA?
LYRICA may cause serious side effects, including:
– muscle problems, muscle pain, soreness, or weakness. If you have these symptoms, especially if you feel sick and have a fever, tell your healthcare provider right away.
– problems with your eyesight, including blurry vision. Call your healthcare provider if you have any changes in your eyesight.
– weight gain. If you have diabetes, weight gain may affect the management of your diabetes. Weight gain can also be a serious problem for people with heart problems.
– feeling “high”
The most common side effects of LYRICA are:
– blurry vision
– weight gain
– trouble concentrating
– swelling of hands and feet
– dry mouth
LYRICA caused skin sores in animal studies. Skin sores did not happen in studies in people. If you have diabetes, you should pay attention to your skin while taking LYRICA and tell your healthcare provider about any sores or skin problems. Tell your healthcare provider about any side effect that bothers you or that does not go away. These are not all the possible side effects of LYRICA. For more information, ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
How should I store LYRICA?
– Store LYRICA capsules and oral solution at room temperature, 59oF to 86°F (15oC to 30°C) in its original package.
– LYRICA Oral Solution must be used within 45 days of first opening the bottle.
– Safely throw away any LYRICA that is out of date or no longer needed.
– Keep LYRICA and all medicines out of the reach of children.
You can also visit the LYRICA website at www.LYRICA.com or call 1-866-459-7422 (1-866-4LYRICA).
What are the ingredients In LYRICA?
Active ingredient: pregabalin
LYRICA capsules: lactose monohydrate, cornstarch, talc
Capsule shell: gelatin and titanium dioxide; Orange capsule shell: red iron oxide; White capsule shell: sodium lauryl sulfate, colloidal silicon dioxide. Colloidal silicon dioxide is a manufacturing aid that may or may not be present in the capsule shells. Imprinting ink: shellac, black iron oxide, propylene glycol, potassium hydroxide.
LYRICA oral solut on: methylparaben, propylparaben, monobasic sodium phosphate anhydrous, dibasic sodium phosphate anhydrous, sucralose, artificial strawberry #11545 and purified water.
This Medication Guide has been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Capsules manufactured by:
Pfizer Pharmaceuticals LLC
Vega Baja, PR 00694
Oral Solution manufactured by:
Kalamazoo, MI 49001
What I find interesting about Codeine is how we use this drug so freely, yet it is:
– dangerously addictive
– causes numerous side effects
– can cause erectile dysfunction and diminished libido which can be a longer-term effect (years to decades). Even worse, they make a pill called Viagra to make up for that erectile dysfunction which in turn, we know can add to even more problems!
I listed what sources you could be getting codeine from, the possible side effect and withdrawals. Have a good look, there may be a source you weren’t aware of.
Do we ever suspect that the drugs we are taking could be causing the symptoms in the first place? Not usually, especially over-the-counter drugs. They can’t be harmful, you can buy them off the shelf, right? We throw them in the cart like they are part of our groceries nowadays. Part of our weekly chemical intoxicants.
Even worse, we mix them with alcohol, prescription drugs, street drugs or even certain foods that have a chemical reaction. If you seriously think about it, most of our foods are chemical cocktails. Quite a mix going on there, a chemical war for. It only leads to more pain and suffering in the long run, believe me, especially if you end up with kidney or liver failure or something serious. Think twice before you start mixing prescriptions and over-the counter drugs. Take care of yourself.
The true dangers are overuse as it has become so wide spread in so many products. It is:
– marketed as both a single-ingredient drug
– in combination preparations with the analgesic acetaminophen (paracetamol, as co-codamol paracod, panadeine, or the Tylenol With Codeine series (e.g., Tylenol 3 and 4 tablets and elixir)
– with the analgesic acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin), as co-codaprin
– with the NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) ibuprofen, as Nurofen Plus. These combinations provide greater pain relief than either agent alone (drug synergy). Commonly marketed in products containing:
– codeine with other pain killers – muscle relaxers such as Fioricet with Codeine, Soma Compound/Codeine – codeine mixed with phenacetin (Emprazil With Codeine No. 1, 2, 3, and 4), naproxen, indomethacin, diclofenac and others – more complex mixtures including such mixtures as aspirin + paracetamol + codeine ± caffeine ± antihistamines and other agents such as mentioned above – Codeine-only products can be obtained with a prescription as a time release tablet (e.g., Codeine Contin 100 mg and Perduretas 50 mg)
– also marketed in cough syrups with zero to a half-dozen other active ingredients
– a linctus (e.g., Paveral) for all of the uses for which codeine is indicated.
– injectable codeine is available for subcutaneous or intramuscular injection; intravenous injection can cause a serious reaction that can progress to anaphylaxis (you don’t want to go there, the anaphylaxis is life threatening and a horrible roller coaster from hell you can’t get off. I experienced that from a 3 month injection of Lupron)
– Codeine suppositories are also marketed in some countries
Are you starting to see how you could overdose so easily? These are the silent killers. So easy to consume, but with such serious consequences. You may not see your liver or kidneys being destroyed from mixing, but eventually you may feel some effects like erectile dysfunction or rashes or intestinal pain.
Rather than linking the symptoms to the use or overuse of the codeine or drugs, we are off to get diagnosed for this strange skin rash or a prescription for Viagra. Many of these symptoms could disappear without the addition of new drugs but rather the mere elimination of certain chemicals or food.
Sure, you have pain but getting to the root cause of your pain is the best answer. Long term pain killer use can cause serious damage to humans.
Common effects other than analgesia associated with the use of codeine include:
– dry mouth
– orthostatic hypotension
– urinary retention
– lack of sexual drive
– increased complications in erectile dysfunction
– some people may also have an allergic reaction to codeine, such as the swelling of skin and rashes
– erectile dysfunction and diminished libido can be a longer-term effect (years to decades) of many narcotic analgesics due to development of central hypogonadism; this appears to be an especially common effect of methadone.
– the hypoglycaemic effect of codeine, although usually weaker than that of morphine, diamorphine, or hydromorphone, can lead to cravings for sugar.
Tolerance to many of the effects of codeine develops with prolonged use, including therapeutic effects. The rate at which this occurs develops at different rates for different effects, with tolerance to the constipation-inducing effects developing particularly slowly for instance.
A potentially serious adverse drug reaction, as with other opioids, is respiratory depression. This depression is dose-related and is the mechanism for the potentially fatal consequences of overdose.
– as codeine is metabolized to morphine, morphine can be passed through breast milk in potentially lethal amounts, fatally depressing the respiration of a breastfed baby.
As with other opiate-based pain killers, chronic use of codeine can cause physical dependence. When physical dependence has developed, withdrawal symptoms may occur if a person suddenly stops the medication. Withdrawal symptoms include
– drug craving
– runny nose
– stomach cramps
– muscle spasms
To minimize withdrawal symptoms, long-term users should gradually reduce their codeine medication under the supervision of a healthcare professional. A support group called Codeine Free exists to help people who have found themselves dependent on codeine.
Generic Name: codeine (KOE deen)
– codeine may be habit-forming
– do not drink alcohol. Dangerous side effects or death can occur when alcohol is combined with a narcotic pain medicine.
– never take codeine in larger amounts, or for longer than recommended by your doctor – follow the directions on your prescription label
– tell your doctor if the medicine seems to stop working as well in relieving your pain. (This is really important, sometimes we stay on a medication for years, seriously consider if it is really working for you. Why risk possible organ damage and premature death for something that isn’t even helping?)
– codeine may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert
– do not stop using codeine suddenly, or you could have unpleasant withdrawal symptoms. Ask your doctor how to avoid withdrawal symptoms when you stop using codeine.
Do not use codeine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to a narcotic medicine (examples include:
FDA pregnancy category C. It is not known whether codeine will harm an unborn baby. Codeine may cause addiction or withdrawal symptoms in a newborn if the mother takes this medicine during pregnancy. Codeine can pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. The use of codeine by some nursing mothers may lead to life-threatening side effects in the baby. Do not use codeine without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
By Sharon Kirkey, Postmedia News
– can be lethally toxic even in normal doses
– Canada’s leading medical journal says it’s time to seriously consider phasing out the popular painkille
– The Canadian Medical Association Journal says codeine — a drug that has been in use since the 1800s —has never been subjected to the safety testing now mandatory for modern day drugs, and that a person’s genetic makeup can leave them vulnerable to life-threatening or fatal reactions.
– recent advances in our understanding of pharmacogenetics raise serious concerns about the safety of codeine, including emerging evidence that the narcotic can cause death even at conventional doses.”
– the liver converts codeine to morphine. But some people are ultrarapid metabolizers, meaning their bodies break codeine down far faster than most, leading to a toxic accumulation of morphine that can be deadly.
“We now have more cases in Canada,” said Dr. Gideon Koren, director of the Motherisk program at Sick Kids and a professor at the University of Toronto.
” Koren has also started a study involving children who are sent home with codeine after a tonsillectomy with an apnea monitor. “The study’s ongoing but I can tell you quite a few of them show episodes of apnea — they stop breathing.
So this is serious,” Koren says. Currently, there are 124 approved and marketed products containing codeine in Canada, including over the counter cough and cold medicines, analgesics and back pain medications.
Drug products containing more than 8 mg of codeine are available with a prescription. Tylenol 3 — Tylenol with codeine — is among the top 20 prescribed drugs in Canada.
In a statement, Janssen-Ortho Inc., makers of Tylenol, said the company “remains confident that its products are safe and effective for consumers. We don’t believe it is appropriate for us to comment on the CMAJ editorial.”
Last year, nearly 2.5 million prescriptions worth $37.3 million were filled by retail drugstores, according to prescription drug tracking firm IMS Health Canada. Until more research is done into codeine’s safety, physicians should be warned of the potential for harm, the CMAJ says. “We really think there needs to be some serious look at ensuring that physicians are warned about toxicity — and the general public is warned about toxicity,” MacDonald said. Read the full article at: http://www.canada.com/health/Medical+journal+raises+concerns+about+codeine/3621069/story.html
– diarrhea and upset stomach
– stomach pain
**Rarely, diarrhea can become so severe and persistent that it may lead to dehydration
– severe/persistent diarrhea
– stomach cramps
– severe dizziness
– decreased amount of urine
– muscle weakness
****Tell your doctor immediately if any of these unlikely but serious side effects occur:
– difficult/painful swallowing
– swelling of the hands/feet
– sudden/unexplained weight gain
– vision changes
– hearing changes (e.g., ringing in the ears)
– mental/mood changes (e.g., depression)
– fast/pounding heartbeat
– persistent/severe headache
– unusual/heavy vaginal bleeding
– menstrual problems/irregular periods
****Tell your doctor immediately if any of these rare but very serious side effects occur:
– change in the amount of urine
– easy bruising/bleeding
– signs of infection (e.g., fever, persistent sore throat)
– unexplained stiff neck
******This drug may rarely cause serious (possibly fatal) liver disease. If you notice any of the following rare but very serious side effects, stop taking diclofenac/misoprostol and tell your doctor immediately:
– yellowing eyes/skin
– dark urine
– unusual/extreme tiredness
– severe stomach/abdominal pain
– persistent nausea/vomiting
******A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is unlikely, but seek immediate medical attention if it occurs. Symptoms of a serious allergic reaction may include:
– itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat)
– severe dizziness
– trouble breathing
**This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
In Canada – Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to Health Canada at 1-866-234-2345.
In the US -Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
PRECAUTIONS: if you are allergic to either of these drugs;
– aspirin or other NSAIDs – ibuprofen, naproxen, celecoxib
– aspirin-sensitive asthma
– recent heart bypass surgery
– certain liver problem
– kidney disease
– liver disease
– stomach/intestine/esophagus problems – bleeding, ulcers, inflammatory bowel disease
– heart disease
– high blood pressure, stroke, swelling, edema, fluid retention
– blood disorders – anemia)
– bleeding or clotting problems
– growths in the nose (nasal polyps)
**Before having surgery, tell your doctor or dentist that you are using this medication. This drug may make you dizzy or drowsy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do any activity that requires alertness until you are sure you can perform such activities safely.
*Diclofenac may cause:
– stomach bleeding. Daily use of alcohol and tobacco may increase your risk for stomach bleeding
– may make you more sensitive to the sun. Avoid prolonged sun exposure, tanning booths, and sunlamps
– elderly may be more sensitive to the side effects of this drug, especially stomach/intestinal bleeding and kidney effects.
– must not be used during pregnancy. It can harm the unborn baby and mother
*******DRUG INTERACTIONS: This drug should not be used with the following medications because very serious interactions may occur:
– high doses of aspirin and related drugs – salicylates
– cidofovir, other NSAIDs – ketorolac
If you are currently using any of these medications listed above, tell your doctor or pharmacist before starting diclofenac/misoprostol.
– anti-platelet drugs – cilostazol, clopidogrel
– oral bisphosphonates – alendronate
– “blood thinners” – enoxaparin, heparin, warfarin
– corticosteroids – prednisone, cyclosporine, desmopressin, digoxin
– high blood pressure drugs – ACE inhibitors such as captopril, angiotensin receptor blockers such as loartan, and beta-blockers such as metoprolol, lithium, methotrexate, pemetrexed, probenecid
– SSRI antidepressants (e.g., fluoxetine, sertraline), “water pills” – diuretics such as furosemide, hydrochlorothiazide, triamterene
– pain/fever drugs – NSAIDs such as aspirin, celecoxib, ibuprofen. These drugs are similar to this medication, so taking one of these drugs while also taking this medication may increase your risk of side effects
*******This document does not contain all possible interactions.
“©2013, WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved”
My 2 cents:
I was prescribed these for probably 15 years. I experienced many of the symptoms above yet the doctor never considered them being a side effect from the drugs they were prescribing. They then went on to give me more drugs for the symptoms I was having and send me to specialists for this and that, added more diagnoses and more prescriptions to the mix. Hmmm??? Beside the added expense to our health care. Believe me too, when you involve more doctors you open yourself up to a power struggle of who is right with what diagnoses and then also the ego of the doctor whom is always right. To be honest, it is hard to find doctors who agree with one another.
Did you read that this is not a complete list of possible side effect? The list just goes on and on. This is because the reports just keep coming in from people so you should keep updated and report your side effects! If you experienced heavy vaginal bleeding they would probably send you to a gynecologist and not even consider your muscle relaxant. Muscle weakness or fatigue you might have a touch of the flu. Abdominal pain, nausea or vomitting probably the same thing or send you for an ultra sound to check your gallbladder. My point here is that one drug can cause so many problems, offer so little cure and it’s side effects or adverse reactions can be masked as disease itself.